Annual Art Print / Poster
Each year, the Alaska Railroad Corporation commissions an artist to produce artwork that is the basis for a limited edition print, poster and lapel pin and other gifts and materials. The annual Alaska Railroad artwork is a favorite among rail fans and Alaska art collectors. These collector's items are available for sale through the Anchorage Historic and Fairbanks depots, as well as the online Gift Shop. The Railroad has traditionally produced 750 signed and numbered prints, 4,000 posters and several thousand lapel pins.
2013 Art Print Sale-and-Signing Events Scheduled
The The Alaska Railroad Corporation (ARRC) will release its 2013 annual poster/print during three public sale-and-signing events. 2013 print artist Susan Watkins will be on-hand to sign the prints and posters.
- SEWARD: Friday, November 30, 5:00 - 9:00 p.m., at the Dale Lindsey Intermodal Terminal (913 Port Avenue); held in conjunction with the Seward Holiday Craft Fair
- FAIRBANKS: Saturday, December 8, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., at the Fairbanks Depot (1745 Johansen Expressway)
- ANCHORAGE: Saturday, December 15, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., at the Anchorage Historic Depot (411 W. First Avenue)
Annual Print History
2014 Commemorative Art Print Contest
News release with instructions on how to enter the 2014 Alaska Railroad Art Print Contest.
During the last solicitation for artwork submissions in spring 2011, the Alaska Railroad Corporation (ARRC) chose two artists - one (Taffina Katkus) to create the 2012 print artwork and another (Susan Watkins) to create the 2013 print artwork.
In November 2012, the Alaska Railroad will again begin soliciting submissions from Alaska artists who wish to compete in the upcoming Alaska Railroad Art Print Contest. Depending upon submissions, the Alaska Railroad my choose artists to creat artwork for 2014 and 2015. Dates to remember:
- February 22, 2013 – 2014 print contest submissions Must be received by 5:00 p.m.
- mid-March 2013 – Committee review complete; winning entry selected.
- March 31, 2013 – Artists notified of contest results.
- April 15, 2013 – Submissions must be retrieved.
- April 16, 2013 – Submissions not retrieved will be discarded
- September 30, 2013 – Chosen artist must deliver completed artwork
- early December 2013 – Chosen artist participates in sale-and-signing events
Artist ideas must have an Alaska Railroad theme to be considered. For 2012/13, we sought a focus on Seward. This time, we would like to see an ARRC art print feature the Hurricane Turn flag stop and/or the railroad's role in the community of Nenana.
Artists chosen to design the artwork as the basis for a print are paid $3,000, and are given 10 artist proofs and 20 posters. The artist must agree to participate in sale-and-signing events in Anchorage and in Fairbanks, typically organized in December. Additional community locations may be added depending upon the print subject. The Alaska Railroad will pay for the artist’s travel expenses. The Alaska Railroad retains all and exclusive rights to the artwork.
A selection will be made by the end of March 2013. A committee will review the submissions and the successful artist will be notified by telephone and by U.S. mail. The selected artist can request access to Alaska Railroad property for research purposes by contacting Corporate Communications Officer Stephenie Wheeler at (907) 265-2671. Safety is of paramount concern at the Alaska Railroad, and coordination is required before entering Alaska Railroad property. The selected artist must complete the artwork by early September. Prints are typically made available to the public by early December.
Artwork that is not selected as the basis for the 2014 print will be returned to the submitting artists. In order to be returned by mail, submissions must include a self-addressed and stamped envelope. Artwork can also be retrieved in person.